Thursday, December 11, 2014

Ten Years of Singles, Ten Years of Spotify Playlists: 2004 - 2013

While we're in the midst of year-end list season (and as I'm preparing my own, so check back soon), I got to thinking about the history of this blog, which started back in 2004 as a project for an English Comp. course. Ten years is a long time to be doing anything and if anything, my past best-of lists have been a reliable snapshot of the culture at the time which I often use as a reference, along with how I've grown as a person (some of my earliest Lollapalooza recaps were so cruel, they embarrass me now). I've only started employing Spotify into my year-end singles posts the past few years and thought it would be a great idea to go back and give the others the same treatment. If you ever need a good idea of what went on in music from 2004-2013 and you have a few weeks to spare, I think this post would be a good place to start. Click on a year for the full list.


2004



Song that should have been higher in hindsight: Alicia Keys - "If I Ain't Got You" (original rank: #84)
Most guilt-wracked omissions: McFly - "Room On The 3rd Floor"; Mousse T feat. Emma Lanford - "Is It 'Cos I'm Cool"; Teddybears STLHM - "Hey Boy"

2005



Song that should have been higher in hindsight: Out Hud - "It's For You" (#188)
Most guilt-wracked omission: Fefe Dobson - "Don't Let It Go To Your Head"

2006



Song that should have been higher in hindsight: Yeah Yeah Yeahs - "Cheated Hearts" (#113)
Most guilt-wracked omission: The Long Blondes - "Once And Never Again"

2007



Song that should have been higher in hindsight: Sophie Ellis-Bextor - "Me and My Imagination" (#106)
Most guilt-wracked omissions: CSS - "Alcohol"; White Shoes & The Couples Company - "Senandung Maaf"

2008



Song that should have been higher in hindsight: Hot Chip - "Ready For The Floor" (#179)
Most guilt-wracked omission: Ne-Yo - "Closer"

2009



Song that should have been higher in hindsight: Big Boi feat. Gucci Mane - "Shine Blockas" (#176)
Most guilt-wracked omission: Bear In Heaven - "Lovesick Teenagers"

2010



Song that should have been higher in hindsight: Katy B - "Katy On A Mission" (#167)
Most guilt-wracked omissions: Jay Electronica feat. Jay-Z & The-Dream - "Shiny Suit Theory"; Roach Gigz - "Magic Gas"

2011



Song that should have been higher in hindsight: Yeasayer - "I Remember" (#171)
Most guilt-wracked omissions: Taylor Swift - "Mean"; TiRon & Ayomari feat. D.R.U.G.S. & Thundercat - "If I Had You"

2012



Songs that should have been higher in hindsight: Future - "Turn On The Lights (#159), Little Big Town - "Pontoon" (#163)
Most guilt-wracked omission: SHINee - "Sherlock"

2013



Songs that should have been higher in hindsight: Mapei - "Don't Wait" (#121), Maria Magdalena - "CVMC (Cada Vez Mas Cerca)" (#193)
Most guilt-wracked omissions: Tiny Hearts - "Centerfold"; Lone - "Airglow Fires"

No comments:

Post a Comment