Monday, April 15, 2013

Alpine - "Gasoline" & KING - "In The Meantime"

It's only been four months into 2013, but I think I may have already found two of my favorite songs of the year.

Alpine - "Gasoline"

Since I came across this about a month ago, I haven't been able to let go of how much this song reminds me of Little Dragon. I kept picturing a world where they didn't sound as sinister and the keyboards had a bit more bounce to it. The result would likely be "Gasoline." It's deceptively chipper and doesn't sound anything like you would expect longing to, especially the way the lead singer delivers the word "night time" during the chorus, which feels naive and flirtatious at the same time.




KING - "In The Meantime"

Another song that's been in constant rotation is the latest single from KING, who I've been very high on in the past. It's a subtly potent display of quiet storm seductiveness filled with the typical warmth that these ladies bring. I'm not sure how often I've used "warm" to describe their sound, but I can't think of a better way to put it. From the vocals to the production, KING makes some of the coziest, lulling music right now, and I mean that in every positive way.

No comments:

Post a Comment